Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Thanksgiving Tribute

This Thanksgiving I would like to add someone new to my list of people I admire.  Who is this person of interest?  None other than financial genius, Warren Buffett.  I do not claim to be an expert on Warren Buffett or his principles, but so far every time I learn something about him or from him, I like it.  A lot. 

The man is worth over $62 billion dollars yet maintains personal frugality.  He reportedly does not carry a cell phone, doesn't have a computer at his desk, and drives his own car.  He still lives in the same house he bought in the 1950s. 

He is a witty old man and has some pretty great quotes, as follows:

"I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me."


"Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."

"Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1."

"You do things when the opportunities come along. I've had periods in my life when I've had a bundle of ideas come along, and I've had long dry spells. If I get an idea next week, I'll do something. If not, I won't do a damn thing."

"You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong."


So this Thanksgiving, among the many more important things I am thankful for, I also express thanks for Warren Buffett who makes me laugh and inspires me to be frugal.  If only one day it will pay off... in billions...

No comments: