Thursday, May 17, 2012

7:26


Usually when people post videos on blogs or facebook, I ignore them because I am too impatient to sit and watch a video.  But when E Tells Tales posted this video yesterday, I gave in and watched it and I loved it!  I'm sure everyone on the planet has already watched it, but if you haven't, you totally should.  It's adorable.

When I decided to watch it I told myself I would only watch it because I knew I wouldn't cry.  But then I totally cried.  Right around 7:26 got me.  I think becoming a mom has made me somewhat of a sap when it comes to little kids.

I'm so impressed with the creativity of this little boy and especially how so many adults supported him in his clever little dream.  I never did anything that cool when I was a kid, but it reminded me a lot of my own childhood.  Like how I used to play with the plants in our lush Oregon yard.  I named some of them and others became castles and secret doors.  One particular shrub had long skinny sticks that fell off of it and those were my hidden keys. I would spend hours sitting on our roof watching the sunsets because I was sure that where the sun met the horizon along the coastal mountains was the edge of the earth.  Or heaven.  

I want a creative life for Avery.  I want her to feel that she can do anything she imagines, even if it seems silly or crazy or maybe a little unusual.  I want for her a future of tent forts, garden castles, sunsets and maybe even cardboard arcades.

2 comments:

vickyj said...

Now you've done it. I'm going to have to buy lemonade from every kid on the corner now. And a cookie from every kid at a garage sale. AND I cried a little.

Kate [City Girl Mountain View] said...

Oh, the boy and his arcade! I saw a story about him on Dateline or 60 minutes or some other show that makes me feel old for watching. He was so sweet and creative. And the bit with him feeding tickets through his game? Instant tears.