I don't know but maybe I am a little obsessive about towels.
In my mind, there are 7 types of towels:
1. Kitchen Towels: To dry hands and the occasional dish in the kitchen. Not for mopping floors or wiping tables and other household surfaces. Also, not for wiping food off of faces.
2. Dish Cloths: To clean counter tops and dishes.
3. Hand Towels: To dry hands and faces in the bathroom. Not for cleaning bathroom surfaces, or soap boogers off soap dispensers. Also not for cleaning facial hair bits off of razor blades.
4. Wash Cloths: For cleaning faces and bodies.
5. Bath Towels: For drying faces and bodies.
6. Beach Towels: For sunbathing faces and bodies by pools and beaches.
7. Decorative Embroidered Tea Towels: For decorative use only. Not for cleaning greasy stove tops or bathroom counters. Basically not for cleaning anything at all.
(Is it wrong that I cried about a ruined tea towel?)
(Wait, don't answer that)
For comparison's sake, this is how Karl* views towels:
1. If it looks like a towel, I can use it like a towel. All towels were created equal.
*name changed to protect the guilty