Sunday, February 20, 2011

Paperclip Dreams

link
I remember when I was very little I thought it would be so cool to be a waitress or a secretary.  Lucky for me, I have been both.  I don't know why I thought those jobs would be so fun, but after working as an executive secretary for 3 years now, I think I can see why I am a good fit as a secretary:

  1. I love love love office supplies.  I have a weakness for office supply stores and may get a little too excited about a fresh pack of Post-it notes.
  2. I love the smell of freshly copied paper.  I think it smells like cucumbers.  And I love that it's so warm right out of the copier.
  3. I like to organize and color-code stuff.  Kyle teases me because I have a graph, spreadsheet, or color key for just about everything.
  4. I love to type and I hope someday to exceed 120 wpm.  What an aspiration, I know.
  5. I can figure out pretty much anything, thanks to my friend Google.  (My coworker once asked me how to Google and was very excited to learn that he could Google his own name.)
  6. I never have to work on weekends.
So what if being a secretary isn't so glamorous?  There is a family legend that my sister (when very young) once mentioned she wanted to be a whale when she grew up.  So... I guess it could be worse.

3 comments:

Nick and Jaimee said...

I work as a secretary of sorts as well at my job and I do really love it and I often think to myself, why did I waste my time getting a marketing degree? I should have gotten a secretary degree because that would have been much more useful! ( And Google really is a secretaries best friend)

Kellie said...

I laughed so hard when I read that your sister wanted to be a WHALE!!! SO, so funny!!!

Anna said...

I have to know who asked how to Google!