Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hobby ADD

I have hobby ADD.  I love to try new things and I'll be really excited about one thing for a few weeks or months and then I'll move on to something else.  Sometimes I come back to the things I loved before, but some things are better left a once-tried experiment.  I guess maybe it's all supposed to make me a more well-rounded person?  Or I just have a short attention span.  Here are just a few of my once-loved adventures:


Rugby
Yes, I once played rugby.  If I want to sound really cool, I will just leave it at that and let your imagination fill in the blanks.  But the truth is, I played for maybe 2 weeks in high school.  In practices.  And I never made it to a match.  Coincidentally, I gave it up the same week that someone lost an eye and another girl broke her arm...  but I did get to wear a cool mouth guard and soccer socks.  To this day I have no idea how to play the game.



Horseback Riding
Most of my childhood revolved around horses.  One might even say I was obsessed.  I don't remember how long I actually rode for, but I loved it and I sometimes wish I was still riding.



Durian
This was a really short-lived adventure and I'll tell you why: durian is the most foul fruit known to man.  I kid you not.  I'm pretty brave when it comes to culinary challenges, but even I could not choke down one bite of the candy.  I first thought "maybe it doesn't taste as bad as it smells."  Wrong.  It tastes even worse than it smells, which is rather hard to believe when you've smelled it.  I dare you to try it.



Crochet
I love to knit but I can't crochet to save my life.  After attempting to help my mom crochet leper bandages for a humanitarian project, I quickly learned that I suck at it.  Basically I can only crochet triangles.  Not so good for lepers.


Trombone
I started playing the trombone when I was 11.  When it came time to choose my instrument of choice in sixth grade band, the trombone just came easily to me.  And I stuck with it for another 6 years.  Sometimes I tell people I played for 9 years, but that's a lie.  You should know I almost always exaggerate my numbers.  More on that later...


Clarinet
A few years later I decided that the saxophone was much cooler than the trombone, but my band director wouldn't let me play the sax until I learned the clarinet first.  So for one summer I was multi-talented and learned the clarinet and sax and kept up trombone and piano playing.  The clarinet was just not for me.  Neither was the sax.  Feel free to call me a band geek anytime.  I've earned it.




Yoga
I've done yoga off and on for 7+ years (true number!) and still absolutely love it!  I just don't make the time to do it anymore.  Don't give up on me yet though, I still have dreams of one day mastering Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (one-legged king pigeon pose)...  one day...

1 comment:

Jason and Abby said...

I'm proud of you for trying durian. It's way cool looking, but absolutely disgusting.