Monday, September 17, 2012

Another Monday Makeover

I am like on a roll getting projects done!
It helps that I use the same white paint for pretty much everything so I already have what I need on hand.
(Behr Bleached Linen)

So I've had this dresser pretty much my whole life.
I don't really know how old it is, but it's been in my family for a long time.
It's been a good little dresser, but it looked like it came right out of the 70s or something.
I've wanted to paint it forever.
It finally got it's makeover.

Of course I would remember to take a before picture after I'd already taken the drawers out.
I was much too lazy to put them back in for a picture but you can see some of them hanging out in the background.


And because I hate making you wait, here's the after!


I've always wanted to replace the brassy hardware, but for the sake of saving money, I decided to just spray paint them.  In the end, I actually REALLY like the original hardware so I'm glad I kept it.


To make the herringbone top, I marked a grid of squares in pencil all over the top.  The dimensions were such that each square was 4.5" x 4.5".  I used a quilting guide to draw the horizontal lines in each square.  Then I taped off every other column and painted in the gray sections, removing the tape while the paint was still wet.  After the first set of columns were dry, I painted the rest of the gray pieces to create the herringbone pattern.  I erased all the pencil markings, gave it a quick sanding and a little bit of dark walnut stain and there she is!  (I know, not exactly a thorough tutorial, but that's not really my forte)


I'm not gonna lie, I think it's kind of awesome.

1 comment:

Rich and Brianne said...

I think it's pretty awesome, too. Love the top.