Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Story About Friday


Let me tell you a story about our Friday.

I noticed Avery's soft spot seemed swollen so being the paranoid first time mom that I am, I called the doctor.  I expected them to tell me it was nothing but instead they told me to come right in! Ah!

This is Gehry.  He is the darlingest 10 month old baby I watch during the week.   (Don't you love those big blue eyes?!)  So on this Friday I had two babies to pack up with me to the doctor.  
I changed 2 diapers.
I fixed 2 bottles.
I put 2 cute babies in the car.
I felt like a supermom.

At the doctor, everyone was eating up Gehry's flirty baby smile and Avery was fast asleep.  The doctor quickly determined Avery's soft spot was just fine.  Whew!  Buuut she's only gained 3 ounces in 4 weeks :(   I love how tiny and sweet she is but I was sad that she hadn't grown enough.  
And I immediately blamed the stupid PKU.
Pretty much anything crappy I blame on the stupid PKU.
Having a bad hair day?  Stupid PKU.

He decided to do a urine test to rule out some kind of infection that would keep her from gaining weight.  So they attached a bag to Avery's little baby bum and I gave her a bottle in hopes she'd pee on demand.  Well, my plan worked but the bag wasn't attached all the way so it leaked all over my pants.  It looked like I had peed my pants!  I was able to save enough in the bag but on my way to the door to call the nurse, it dripped all over the floor and the exam table.

I got a nurse and a receptionist to help me out and when I picked up Gehry to save him from the mess, I noticed that he had peed all the way through his diaper and his clothes were soaked.  3 of us covered in pee.  Yippee!

It turns out Avery doesn't have an infection, she just needs more calories (stupid PKU).  An hour and a half later I left the doctor's office with pee covered pants, a tiny Avery and a naked Gehry wearing a too small diaper the nurse had given me.  I felt pretty white trash but at the same time I was so proud that I had managed it all with two babies!

Let me tell you, this is a totally different life than I was living a few months ago!
But you know what?  I kind of love it :)

5 comments:

Jamie said...

And I kinda love this story!! :o) Ahhhh motherhood!

It Started With a Wink said...

ahhh I love this story too, has your laundry like doubled or is that just me?

Crystal said...

I know how it feels to have a baby that gains weight slowly, too. Aislynn wasn't even on the percentage charts at her 1-year appointment, even though she was born weighing almost 8 lbs. Now she is over 2 years old and is barely 22 lbs. I try not to stress about it, but that's easier said than done!

I love how you said that this is a totally different life, but you kind of love it. That hits the nail on the head!

mrsmonje said...

Kind of sounds like me but still with only one baby and having a naked child who is screaming while Im walking out of WAL MART!!! He managed to pee through two outfits and then the extra jammies I had were clearly missed marked and could have fit a toddler! but im with you, I love it :)

Kellie said...

This had me laughing out-loud! So funny. Sorry you had to go through all of that in ONE day!