Thursday, March 3, 2011

Greeky

How many times do I have to write about food before I can consider myself a "food blogger?"

My mom did not so much care for her Greek yogurt so I gladly helped myself to it.  I had not previously sampled Greek yogurt but I just knew that I would like it because it seems kind of fancy and it's like one of those really cool things to eat these days.

Also, I'm kind of in love with natural frozen yogurt at such tasty places as Red Mango and Yogurt Stop. (Someone pleeeease feed me frozen yogurt! The fetus asked nicely)

So here are my thoughts about this particular yogurt of the Greeks:
1. What makes a yogurt Greek anyway?  
2.  What is locust bean gum? (as listed in the ingredients)
3. I loooove the creamy texture
4.  This was vanilla, but I did not so much taste vanilla?
5.  It is a little sour, which I expected, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
6.  I think this is one of those things I'll have to have a few times before I love it.
7.  If only I had some fresh berries to put in it...  I think it would be perfect!
8.  So far, it has not given me heartburn.  A big bonus in my book!
9.  In the absence of berries, I actually considered adding in dill pickles.  But then thought better of it.
(I am smart like that)

How do you feel about Greek yogurt?
Is there a certain brand that is the best? 
Can you define locust bean gum?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Greek yogurt. It's such a nice break from all the other high fructose corn syrupy yogurt I usually eat. My favorite kind is the Fage yogurt with honey. I do agree that Greek yogurt is more sour and needs a little something extra - and that's exactly what the honey is for (it comes on the side and you spoon it ontop of the yogurt). Besides that, the Fage greek yogurt is really thick. Ugh, now I really want some! :)

What makes it Greek: it's yogurt thats been strained through a cloth or paper bag to remove the whey. It has a firmer texture than regular yogurt, and is healthier: it has twice the protein of regular yogurt and less sodium, carbohydrates, and sugar.

And I think it tastes better (well, with honey). It's a win-win! (except for the price. Oh well. I consider it a special treat for myself when I buy some!)

Try some Fage with honey. You'll LOVE it.

~Chelsea

mrsmonje said...

Ive only had greek yogurts once and to be honest I wasnt a huge fan...It could have been the brand but heck if I remember which one it was lol! I have a hard enough time with regular yogurt but maybe some day Ill be able to eat try it again!

Kaylee

www.monjesworld.blogspot.com