Monday, January 31, 2011

The Friday Night Stash

It was Friday night and we were contemplating movie choices when a craving struck me and it struck me hard.  "THE FETUS WANTS ICE CREAM!"  Was the signal I received from below.  So I tried in my sweetest of wifely ways to talk Kyle into running to the store for ice cream while I "get the movie ready."  Fair trade, no? 

Well, would you imagine my delighted surprise when he procured from our very own freezer a half gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream!!  I sent him praises of love and admiration!  He was my hero!  How had he known I would crave mint chocolate chip at exactly that moment on a Friday night?!?

And then I discovered that it was half-eaten.

Praise retracted.

The half gallon had been there for several days and he had already made significant headway on its consumption.  Since its purchase, the ice cream had been stashed in the back of the freezer, under some bags of frozen salmon.

I am not at all surprised by this.  Kyle admittedly likes to stash treats in places I will not likely look. 

For Example:

1.  The box of Milk Duds I discovered in his nightstand drawer.  Uh, hello?  Whenever did you buy these?  And, more importantly, why aren't you sharing??

2.  The box of chocolate chip cookies hidden in the back of the pantry under a bag of hamburger buns.  I don't really care for store-bought cookies anyway, but still.  It's the principle of the thing!  I ate three and never looked back.

3.  The Lindt truffles that I brought home to share that I later found hiding in no other place than the infamous nightstand drawer.  (I should really look there more often)

4.  Most notably, the recent mint chocolate chip ice cream debacle.

So you see, I felt no shame at all when I scooped us up some ice cream and gave myself an extra serving.  (For the fetus, of course)

2 comments:

Jason and Abby said...

LOL, I'm glad the bean got it's ice cream

Suzi Q said...

I love it. How funny. My Mom used to bake cookies and hide them in a raisin bran box in the pantry. None of the boys would ever find them! Or she would hide them in the dishwasher....there's was broken for about 10 years.